Requiring closing link tag

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Requiring closing link tag

gorder
In HTML5 the closing tag is not required.

The problem I am running into is I am using Thymeleaf in combination with other front end build tools (gulp and company)

What is happening is I am injecting my combined and minified scripts/css into the thymeleaf templates.  Once this is done I am getting a SAX parse exception saying link tags require a closing </link> tag.

If I try to add a self closing tag <link />  it is getting stripped out by my build tools and made to be just <link>.  I cant really file a bug report against these other tools since actually with HTML5 the self closing tag is redundant.

Is there a way to make Thymeleaf not throw errors if self closing tags are not used (when mode is HTML5)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Requiring closing link tag

gorder
Looking more at it, probably wont be possible as it needs to also be valid XML for Thymeleaf to be able to parse it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Zemi
Administrator
Hello,

you can use the legacy mode or wait for Thymeleaf 3.

To use the legacy mode just supply it to the configuration as "LEGACYHTML5", see
   http://www.thymeleaf.org/doc/tutorials/2.1/usingthymeleaf.html#creating-and-configuring-the-template-engine

Regards,
   Zemi

Reply | Threaded
|

gorder
Zemi,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I did actually see that shortly after I posted.  I opted for fixing it with a regex replace on that particular HTML file further down the gulp pipeline, rather than using the legacy mode.  For the most part I like the validation that is provided it just bit me in this particular case it seems.

Can you expound a little on how Thymeleaf 3 will be different in the way it handles this?
Reply | Threaded
|

Zemi
Administrator
There will be no more legacy modes in Thymeleaf 3, as the new parser is capable of managing any kind of ill-formed markup.

So the final output will be exactly as the original source regarding non-closed tags, attributes with no value or without quotes, single or double quotes, etc.

Regards,
   Zemi