Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Thymeleaf 3.0.0.BETA01 just published!

danielfernandez
Administrator
This post was updated on .

The first (BETA) version of Thymeleaf 3.0 has just been published: 3.0.0.BETA01

After many, many months of hard work, this is the first version of Thymeleaf 3.0 that is aimed at users to start testing the new features and integrators to start updating and building their extensions (dialects, resolvers, etc.) on top of the new architecture.

Thymeleaf 3.0 is a complete rewrite of the template engine. While this should not affect template code (template code in 3.0 is 99% backwards compatible), most Java APIs have been changed and improved, which means that custom dialects and processors, custom resolvers, etc. will need to be updated in order to work with Thymeleaf 3.0.

For most people using Thymeleaf in their Spring MVC based applications, however, migrating to 3.0 should be as easy as replacing ServletContextTemplateResolver with SpringResourceTemplateResolver in their Spring configuration and start using the new features :)

What's new?

We have published a five-minute migration guide that should be a nice start for most, but you can also have a look at these extensive descriptions of the new features and capabilities in the form of GitHub tickets:

A couple of things are still to be developed, like DOM expressions and decoupled templates, but those will come in the next BETA. You can have a look at the Thymeleaf 3.0 Milestone on GitHub and see what is pending (and what is done!)

How to start using it

The binaries have been uploaded to the Maven/Gradle Central repositories, so you can just set 3.0.0.BETA01 as version in your build files and everything should run smoothly. For example:

<dependency>
      <groupId>org.thymeleaf</groupId>
      <artifactId>thymeleaf</artifactId>
      <version>3.0.0.BETA01</version>
      <scope>compile</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.thymeleaf</groupId>
      <artifactId>thymeleaf-spring4</artifactId>
      <version>3.0.0.BETA01</version>
      <scope>compile</scope>
    </dependency>

If you prefer, you can also download a complete binary distribution (together with all JavaDoc and all external dependencies) from the GitHub releases page.

More info at the project's Download Page.

JavaDoc

Published artifacts

The current artifacts have been published in 3.0.0.BETA01 version:

• thymeleaf
  • thymeleaf-spring3
  • thymeleaf-spring4
  • thymeleaf-testing
  • thymeleaf-extras-springsecurity3
  • thymeleaf-extras-springsecurity4

Apache Tiles integration for 3.0 is not ready yet. Note also that thymeleaf-extras-conditionalcomments is not needed anymore, as its functionality is covered by Thymeleaf's core now, without needing any extensions.

We hope you like it, and enjoy it. We are really eager to hear your feedback!

Regards,
Daniel.

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Thymeleaf 3.0.0.BETA01 just published!

danielfernandez
Administrator
Note our Thymeleaf 3.0 five-minute migration guide has been published at: http://www.thymeleaf.org/doc/articles/thymeleaf3migration.html
Reply | Threaded
|  

ganeshkrishnan
Does this work with spring boot?

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not evaluate condition on org.springframework.boot.autoconfigure.security.FallbackWebSecurityAutoConfiguration due to internal class not found. This can happen if you are @ComponentScanning a springframework package (e.g. if you put a @ComponentScan in the default package by mistake)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/thymeleaf/resourceresolver/IResourceResolver

Reply | Threaded
|  

Zemi
Administrator
Hello,

no, Spring Boot has not been migrated to version 3. We hope it will be updated during the beta period of Thymeleaf 3.

Regards,
  Zemi

Reply | Threaded
|  

Saul de Leon
Thank you to all the team!

I'am facing the same issue, because I was expecing this from long time ago and I couldnt wait to migrate my app!

Once again, thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|  

Gauthier JACQUES
In reply to this post by danielfernandez
Hi,

Thanks for the great work on Thymeleaf 3.0, it seems very promising.

Do you have any idea how long the BETA phase will last ? We're currently investigating Thymeleaf as template engine for our emailing application. Performance and stability are critical for us (we are sending millions of email each year), so we prefer to wait for 3.0 release before switching to Thymeleaf.

Thanks, best regards,

Gauthier JACQUES
Reply | Threaded
|  

Antibrumm
Great work and a lot of thanks to all the involved persons on that project. I will try to upgrade our applications code to this version asap. Just need to wait some time for the also great layout dialect :)
Reply | Threaded
|  

Zemi
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gauthier JACQUES
Hello Jacques,

sorry, we don't have a precise estimate about the beta period duration, it will depend on the issues encountered (now all tests pass with BETA01) and the time that the dialect authors take to adapt their dialects.

But if you are using no dialects, or dialects already adapted to Thymeleaf 3, my recommendation is start using Thymeleaf 3, it is a stable release.

Regards,
  Zemi

Reply | Threaded
|  

robertobsc
Hello guys, i am realling looking foward to test the 3.0 beta!

But i am using thymeleaf-layout-dialect, thymeleaf-extras-data-attribute and thymeleaf-extras-springsecurity. Does it have compatibility with 3.0 beta?
Reply | Threaded
|  

Zemi
Administrator
Hello,

the Spring Security dialect has been upgraded to 3.0 but the others hasn't as of today.

Regards,
  Zemi

Reply | Threaded
|  

robertobsc
I think I can get rid of thymeleaf-extras-data-attribute, but thymeleaf-layout-dialect is really important in our project...
Reply | Threaded
|  

Zemi
Administrator
Yes, we are all looking forward to the Layout Dialect upgrade. I don't know when it will happen but I am sure it will be a great work.

Regards,
   Zemi

Reply | Threaded
|  

_runboy
thymeleaf是我用/见过最杰出的模板引擎或者叫模版引擎框架,我简直迫不及待想要使用它了.(Themeleaf is the most intelligent template engine ortemplate engine frame which i have seen.I just can't wait to use it )
Reply | Threaded
|  

robertobsc
In reply to this post by Zemi
Hi guys,

seems that the layout-dialect will take a while to support thymeleaf 3. I would like to replace it to pure thymeleaf. How can i manage that, pls?

Thanks!