Thymeleaf or AngularJS?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thymeleaf or AngularJS?

Eslaron
I learning Spring on a project which uses thymeleaf. But I also want to use AngularJS. Does thymeleaf duplicate Angular's functionality and vice versa? I don't want to add unnecessary layers to the app.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thymeleaf or AngularJS?

Zemi
Administrator
Hello,

in a Java application you almost always use a server-side view technology. It could be Thymeleaf or, for example, JSP, JSF or Freemarker. The only way to go without a view technology is to write plain old Java servlets.

AngularJS, on the other hand, is a Javascript framework that executes on the client side. So, if you want to use AngularJS you still need a view technology, although you'll write less template code and more AngularJS code.

Regards,
   Zemi

Reply | Threaded
|

Eslaron
Thanks for the reply ^^ Now it's more clear for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Manas
In reply to this post by Zemi
Thank you for valuable information.

Correct my below understanding.

As per your explainaition the application architecture would be like

TheamLeaf --> java class --> DB connection

Theamleaf for design and template.
  Java class for business logic like DB call, external API call etc.

And below is my understanding for other approach

AngulaJs (html,css,Js) -- ajax call --> Backend RestAPI calling

Question: In this scenario there is no require of template file. Also what is different between server side view and client side view , However entier HTML,css is rendering on client side only.

I have one more doubt like...For an application development there is not necessary for to take template file.
Its an extra burden to maintain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Reiju
You can create thymeleaf fragments and return them as ajax-response (NOT whole template/page) :)
As for me, thymeleaf really much more user-friendly, especially when you are not frontend developer and modern js-frameworks annoy you.