Thymeleaf support and community vanishing?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thymeleaf support and community vanishing?

klaasvg
I started using Thymeleaf some months ago when searching an alternative for JSP. I was pretty much impressed by the documentation and ease of use but it appears that there is hardly any support.
Questions in this forum remain mostly unanswered, and the same counts for Thymeleaf questions on Stackoverflow.

My last unanswered question on this forum was:
http://forum.thymeleaf.org/Tiles-Spring4-support-and-other-questions-td4029256.html

If no support is available, I am afraid that Thymeleaf has no future for me and I have to switch to some other view  technique. and I would be very sorry for that...
Some other opinions about this? Or is there some more vibrant forum for TL questions what I have missed so far?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thymeleaf support and community vanishing?

amit
Sorry, But this is not a reply. I am too of the same opinion as you and find the support to be pretty lack-luster. I have already beginning to think about alternatives for the same. I am pretty much frustrated by the SELECT element support in ThymeLeaf and its lack of documentation. th:field doesn't seem to make its way anywhere in the documentation unless you start using ThymeLeaf and hit a roadblock using a SELECT. Even after that & going through the limited documentation & illogical controller adjustments made to satisfy ThymeLeaf for a SELECT, I am not satisfied with the results and have asked questions which are still unanswered and hence I'm going to abandon following ThymeLeaf in future. SiteMesh has always worked pretty well for me and I think I'm gonna stick to that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Zemi
Administrator
Hello,

this is Zemi from the Thymeleaf team.

I am sorry you feel that way. During the last months a lot of effort has been put on the development of the version 3 of Thymeleaf.

Thymeleaf 3 is a complete rewrite from scratch and has many new improvements. Also the documentation, the example applications and the website is going to be renewed. You can check that looking at the github activity reports.

For that reason, we have not dedicated the same time as before in the forums. Please note that Thymeleaf is a 100% non-profit, voluntary project, so it is done in the spare time of the developers.

Said that, if you feel that other view technology fits better your needs you should use it. We love Thymeleaf and we think is the best, but of course other people may have a different opinion.

Regards,
  Zemi

Reply | Threaded
|

Thibault Duchateau
Hi,

For what it's worth, let me give you my personal view.

I can understand your frustration, but as Zemi pointed it out, when all is done on your own time, which such a small team, you have to make choices (bug fixing, evolution, community animation, support in forums, support in SO, project internal management, ...). If you have already participated in an OSS project, you know all these tasks can take up a looooot of time.

Remember this is Free & Open Source Software, so please be indulgent and a little more patient. The Thymeleaf core team has done an amazing job so far and I'm sure you'll finally have your question(s) answered.

As a side note, if you like Thymeleaf and think it should deserve more attention, consider spending a little time to answer some other questions (forum/SO) - only those you can of course. This will not only save time for the Thymeleaf team - so that they can answer yours more quickly - but it may also lead to a growing and increasingly satisfied community :-)

Regards,
Thibault.