danielfernandez
Administrator
Hi,
blr wrote
I am a new user.
Be welcome!
blr wrote
Why this name  Thymeleaf ?
Because I like growing culinary herbs, especially thyme.
blr wrote
Why Thymeleaf this template engine ?  
Sorry, I don't understand this question.
blr wrote
FreeMaker is'nt good ? ;-) ;-)
FreeMarker is a fantastic piece of software.
blr wrote
what's Natural templating ?
Natural templates are templates that can be open in a browser without being executed (this is, statically, just by double-clicking on it from a file browser, for example), and they will still be correctly displayed.

For more information:
http://www.thymeleaf.org/features.html
http://www.thymeleaf.org/thvsjsp.html

Regards,
Daniel
blr
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: why Thymeleaf ?

blr
This post was updated on .

blr wrote
Why Thymeleaf this template engine ?  
daniel wrote
Sorry, I don't understand this question.
My english is very bad ... Excuse me
There are many template engine : Velocity, Fremaker, etc.
Why do you write an other template engine ?
For the natural templating ? for the speed ?
Why the natural templating is important ?
i  play the agitator but your software is good.
Thanks,
Blr

Reply | Threaded
|

danielfernandez
Administrator
Hi,

I created Thymeleaf because I thought there was space for a new approach at Java template engines.

I am a big fan of two web frameworks: Apache Wicket and Spring MVC. I love Wicket's approach to templating, which I consider especially unobtrusive, and I wanted to create something somewhat similar in concept that I could use with Spring MVC and other web frameworks --or even better in some aspects, because Wicket templates have some flaws regarding f.i. template XHTML validation--.

In my humble opinion, Spring MVC 3 is a fantastic web framework tied to a horrible, extremely old and spaghetti-code-loving template engine: JSP. That's why I wanted the combination of Spring MVC with Thymeleaf to really shine. In some ways I suppose I wanted to give Spring MVC the template engine it deserved. Not from the performance point of view (matching the speed of JSPs, which run in specialized containers, would be very difficult), but more from the points of view of code elegance, readability and design/coding separation of concerns. Also, I wanted to provide first-class support for the emerging HTML5 standard.

As for Velocity and Freemarker, they are both great technologies --much better than JSP, in my opinion--, but they are not as specialized on web scenarios as Thymeleaf is (on the other side, they are much more versatile). Each of the three shines in different aspects, so choosing one of them is just a matter of examining the strong points of each one and selecting the one that really suits the needs of your development team.

Regards,
Daniel.

blr
Reply | Threaded
|

blr
This post was updated on .
Thanks for your honest answer.
With my developement colleague, we look at FreeMarker and Thymeleaf.
Actually, we prefer Thymeleaf on the paper. The syntax is clean.
We make many little software for an administration.
We choose Dojo for user interface, myBatis and Thymeleaf perharps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Alex a.k.a. cOolEr
In reply to this post by danielfernandez
Hi Daniel!

Thanks for this great project. Looks like that Thymeleaf is something that I was searching for a very long time. I like your motivation, may be because I'm also a big fan of Spring MVC and Wicket. Why you are not using GitHub? GitHub is very popular among developers and it is easy to find talented contributors there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Arjun Dhar
In reply to this post by danielfernandez
Im a big fan of Apache wicket. I'm also looking @ Thymeleaf since wicket seems to be all involving and for some projects something more amiable with Spring looks good. I was recommended Thymeleaf by some guys in this context.

However, I have been spoilt by Wickets support for AJAX. I looked up the net and see no clear AJAX related strategy. Anything Im missing?

thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Emanuel
Administrator
No, I don't think you're missing anything.  I can't speak for the others, but I think we've left Ajax alone because it's kind of covered by Spring MVC Partial Rendering w/ Tiles.  Although I just had a look at what it took to get that kind of setup going (http://crunchify.com/how-to-use-ajax-jquery-in-spring-web-mvc-jsp-example/), and even that required a bit of delving into the JavaScript to glue it all together.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bob Johnson
IMO, The lack of framework JS is the beauty of Thymeleaf's offering (besides some JS assistance for prototyping purposes :). We have used PrimeFaces/Wicket type frameworks in the past and seen how the "magic" JS generation to be very frustrating when trying to track down issues within those frameworks. There is also the issue that customizing the generation of the JS code can be quite a challenge!